Pre-Arrest Investigations

If you believe that the police may be suspecting and investigating you in relation to any crime, you should consult with a Michigan criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. A defense attorney can play an important part in enforcing your constitutional rights and may even be able to successfully challenge the accusations against you, so that, at best, charges are never filed against you.

Even if charges are filed, early involvement of a competent defense attorney would limit the amount of evidence that may be gathered improperly during the investigation, thus putting you in a better position to negotiate a plea in exchange for reduced charges, or to fight any charges at trial. For example, a defense attorney can object to a particular line-up as being improperly suggestive (i.e. suggesting to a witness which person to identify as the suspect), or can put an end to improper questioning. Since you will be dealing with professional investigators, you should have a similarly skilled professional on your side.

If you are under investigation, you should discuss with a criminal defense attorney the extent to which you should cooperate with law enforcement agents. You should also discuss any witnesses or other evidence or circumstances that might help persuade a prosecutor not to file charges, to file lesser charges, or to seek a less severe penalty.

If you are asked to come in for questioning, even if you’ve been told that you are being questioned as a witness, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney.

At the Leydorf Law Firm, we are dedicated to helping our clients understand the legal system, the procedural steps that they might face if they are arrested, the particular laws relevant to their case, and the consequences of various strategic choices they might have to make. Attorney Nicholas Leydorf has helped numerous clients in more than 50 counties across Michigan.

For honest, hard-working representation in any criminal law matter, contact The Leydorf Law Firm at any time by calling (517) 388-6800 or emailing